Healthy digestion and nutrient absorption begins with the simple act of chewing your food. There are many digestive supplements and probiotics that can help repair your digestive system. When food isn’t digested properly, you could suffer from digestive issues such as indigestion, heartburn, constipation, headache and low energy. Saliva is such an important piece of our digestive puzzle and we often swallow our food down so fast that our bellies are forced to do most of the work.
Seven Pointers to Chewing More Thoroughly:
- Give yourself enough time to eat—at least 20-30 minutes just to eat the meal, plus additional time to prepare it.
- Don’t eat amidst distractions, like the TV, computer, or while driving.
- Be fully present while you eat. Notice the smell, temperature, texture, color, and subtle flavor differences of each food you consume.
- Take smaller portions, taking a break before refilling.
- Put your fork down after each bite.
- Make sure you’re swallowing the tiniest pieces possible. If you can still feel parts of the food in your mouth, you haven’t chewed it enough.
- If you’re eating in a group, be aware of the speed at which others are eating. Challenge yourself to be the last to finish.
Chewing properly is one that takes time to reprogram in our daily lives.
Who’s IN for trying this with your Dwellness League friends this week?
Leave a comment below if you are in!