Take advice from the Anchorman….that Milk is a BAD Choice.
Are you Ready to go Dairy-free this week?
With the countless ‘Got Milk?’ ads and commercials, we’re bombarded with messages about how dairy is good for us- it has protein and is loaded with calcium.
You’ll get a MUCH higher absorption of calcium from green leafy vegetables than you ever will from milk.
So drinking milk for the calcium benefits and to reduce your risk for osteoporosis is not the best advice…despite what your doctor may tell you. I absolutely encourage you to do your own research on this.
“Consumption of dairy products, particularly at age 20 years, was associated with an increased risk of hip fracture in old age. (“Case-Control Study of Risk Factors for Hip Fractures in the Elderly.” American Journal of Epidemiology. Vol. 139, No. 5, 1994)
Now you can understand why even though we drink more milk here in the US than any other country, we have one of the highest rates of osteoporosis in the world.
Here are a few other things you probably didn’t know:
- More than 75% of us have some degree of lactose intolerance- meaning our bodies can not properly digest the proteins found in cows milk.
- Cow’s milk is NOT for humans…it will take a baby calf from 100 to 800 pounds by the time it’s weaned from it’s mother.
- Africa and Asia have the lowest consumption rates of dairy and ALSO have the lowest rates of osteoporosis.
- Most cows that our milk comes from are treated with antibiotics and hormones that gets transferred into the milk that we are drinking. These hormones will increase your risk for cancer, namely Breast & Prostate.
- Milk will aggravate symptoms in people with Irritable Bowel Syndrome
- Milk causes increased inflammation in the body
So…This Week’s Challenge is to AVOID DRINKING MILK (and other dairy products.)
Here are some delicious substitutes:
- Coconut milk
- Almond milk
- Rice Milk
Think you are up for the Challenge this Week??! Please leave a comment below if you ACCEPT!!